Friday, June 27, 2008

uMobile Baby


uMobile is a relatively new service provider that is geared to be advertising-based. uMobile's claim to fame is that they are the first mobile operator in Asia largely funded by ads.

Come to think of it, for every advertisement/plugging I receive on my phone, I get to be paid. Isn't that amazing?

If Globe and Smart did such thing, I would have a small fortune by now.

uMobile used to be branded as CURE (Connectivity Unlimited Resource Enterprise Inc.). It was owned by Roberto Ongpin of Eastern Telecom.

CURE sounds familiar, right? CURE was the official 3G provider until, quoting Roberto Ongpin in a response sent to Mr. Boo Chanco's Demand and Supply column at Philippine Star (May 7, 2008), to wit:

x x x

"...Let me just simply state that it would have been foolhardy, nay suicidal, for me to have established CURE and applied for a 3G license had I not had a strong partner in place. No one in his right mind would contemplate competing with the giants that are Smart and Globe without the necessary technical and financial backing from a major international mobile telephone company.

Regrettably, early this year, my erstwhile partner, who for obvious reasons must remain unnamed, decided to withdraw from the project principally because of “political noise” considerations and also valid commercial reasons since, as we all know, the promised potential of 3G has not been realized as quickly as expected.

I had therefore no choice but to do the only sensible thing, which was to sell the company...
"

xxx

April 28 when they made headlines and finally ended all speculations: Smart bought CURE.

When uMobile was rebranded, it's main target included those aged 15-35. I remember that it was the same targeted market of Smart Addict Mobile.

As a start, uMobile's move of invitation only is a good marketing ploy. They were able to "create" in people's minds the need for uMobile invite codes. Sort of like a secret society/fraternity/sorority -- and the invite codes didnt come easy.

May 24 when I finally got their much coveted invite code. I was asked to fill in some personal details as well as other things that reflects my attitude as a consumer i.e. what do I own? what brands I like? etc. Getting the invite code was just a mere invitation. uMobile management has yet to approve of such application.

In between May 24 and June 24, I missed a call that I was speculating until now to be from uMobile. I already resigned to the fact that I might have been disapproved/denied. I have several co-forumers who got their sims already and I haven't heard from uMobile. Anyhow, I just told myself that I need not another sim hence, another phone.

June 24, after typhoon Frank and the rest of Manila is on a city holiday, I got an e-mail from uMobile, which read:

Yahoo! Now, where's that freakin' purple sim card?

June 25, I received a message:


It was June 26 when I received the sim. Quite a prefix though: 0999


Truth be told, I am not excited with the number given to me. My only hope is that uMobile allows prepaid subscriber to change their numbers. A first for prepaid, indeed! However, such service has not been fully operational yet. I cannot wait as I have already a certain number on my mind.

uMobile to uMobile SMS is Php 0.15 and a call amounts to Php 5.00/minute. I know for a fact nothing beats Sun Cellular's rates but for a network using Smart's infrastructure, their rates are quite cheap.

I can only hope that my query regarding PLDT's 101010 applies to uMobile as well. I have to yet receive a word from PLDT.

I have Php 100 worth of load for the next six months at my disposal, courtesy of uMobile.

One thing though is that interconnectivity with Globe and Sun are not yet functional, to say the least. Using Globe and Sun Cellular, I cannot call uMobile. A call from uMobile will not be identified on Globe and Sun.

The same thing goes with SMS. I can send messages to Globe and Sun but they won't receive it. Globe and Sun to uMobile on the other hand, message sending is a failure.

uMobile team was quick to address these problems among others:


For now, apart from the change of number, I cant wait for the ads to arrive.










Excess:


If you're still looking for invite codes, might as well head to:

uMobile invite codes

No comments: