Tuesday, May 6, 2008

GSIS - Hell On Earth?


I never believed that there is such thing as a hell on Earth until I had a recent trip at Government Service Insurance System's (GSIS) main building in Pasay to follow up on my grandmother's pension.

My grandmother, who is still very much active, able and slim at age 79, has stopped receiving her survivorship pension last December of 2007 because of the implementation of GSIS e-card. Due to unavailability of everybody in the family, we were only able to make time for it last May 5, Monday.

The lobby looks a bit ok for my taste though teeming with people. Since we were there to apply for an e-card, we were advised to go to the Pension Department.

I was surprised that there was no nearby elevator for us to take. We were
told we had to use the stairs. A little walking wouldnt hurt, I told myself. When I saw the descent we were going to make, I could not help but wonder if Mr. Winston Garcia had ever took this stairs. Apparently, I think otherwise.

The descent was quite steep. An accident-prone one if you ask me.


When we got to the Pension Department, the guard who was manning the door never told us that there was a number needed from him. Had it been I never read the guidelines posted at the blackboard, we would have been waiting in line for nothing.


I wonder again about the percentage of illiterate pensioners who flock to GSIS everyday. What makes of them when the guard does not hand them any number?


The sea of people was expected but the number of employees were very much insufficient. The Pension Department has so many sections to begin with. Separate lines for each. Pension loans, e-card application, e-card picture and biometrics taking, e-card releasing, e-card automated activation and e-card manual activation are housed in one room.



Two employees were manning the e-card application, one for the pension loan, two for the picture-biometrics, four for releasing, one for automated activation and one for the manual activation. Imagine the number of employees vis-a-vis the number of people in that room.

We arrived there around 10am and we were number 173. The number they were calling that time was 66, if my memory serves me right. I knew right then and there, we were to stay there the whole day.
Makes me think if Mr. Garcia will ever have to fall in line in his lifetime?

The room has airconditioning but it was not sufficient to make the room that cool because of the number of people. I told myself that chances are, these pensioners will suffer heat stroke even before they get their pension's worth.

I couldnt help but appreciate the employees stationed in the Pension Department. I caught a glimpse of their day in the office and I knew that no compensation could reward such job. Both tedious and difficult and some could still offer some smile and accommodation.


For one day, I was able to hear all sorts of complain regarding the GSIS and their system or perhaps, the lack of it.
Many pensioners are in the dawn of their lives. Some are even brought with wheelchairs. Tattered and dirty clothes. Disheveled hairs. Frail and weak bodies. The sight was truly heartbreaking and frustrating.

Others look disoriented. I dont blame them. I got disoriented the minute I walked into that room.

A crazy woman accompanied by her sister created quite a commotion that day. Alarmed even the employees because she was getting physical with her own sister. She was shouting and cursing at the top of her voice.


GSIS's security was prompt but the situation could have been averted if not for the long wait the mentally ill woman suffered. For a measly sum of money that the pensioner SHOULD be receiving, a day was lost in GSIS. Talk about the proverbial saying, time is gold.


We finished around 4pm in the afternoon. My grandmother got her e-card but was informed that it will be fully functional only come July or August. No one knows exactly when.

I wouldn't wish anybody to suffer as we had at GSIS...





not even wish it to Mr. Garcia.

No comments: